Torah really means Instruction, not necessarily the word Law as it was mostly translated in the B’rit Hadashah (New Testament). This has caused a misunderstanding among Christians who claim Y’shua (aka Jesus) did away with the Torah, which is known as the Law and Commandments of YHWH. What Y’shua taught against were all the extra laws of man that were added over time.
From the book of Mattityahu/Matthew
(1) Y’shua said: We are supposed to LIVE BY Torah as God said in D’varim/
But he answered, “The Tanakh says, ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of YHWH’” Mattityahu 4:4
(2) Y’shua said: DO NOT THINK…that my purpose for coming was to destroy the Law!
Don’t think that I have come to abolish the Torah or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete. Mattityahu 5:17
(3) Y’shua said: The Torah would not pass away till heaven and earth have passed away.
Yes indeed! I tell you that until heaven and earth pass away, not so much as a yud or a stroke will pass from the Torah — not until everything that must happen has happened. Mattityahu 5:18 (See also Luke 16:17)
(4) Y’shua said: EVERYONE who DOES and TEACHES Torah, will be called GREAT!
So whoever disobeys the least of these mitzvot and teaches others to do so will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But whoever obeys them and so teaches will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. Mattityahu 5:19
(5) Y’shua said: Your WORKS must exceed the Pharisees!
For I tell you that unless your righteousness is far greater than that of the Torah-teachers and P’rushim, you will certainly not enter the Kingdom of Heaven! Mattityahu 5:20
(6) Y’shua said: The Torah and the Prophets teach us to treat others how each one of us want to be treated.
Always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that sums up the teaching of the Torah and the Prophets. Mattityahu 7:12
(7) Y’shua said: If you want to know me, keep the Torah.
“Not everyone who says to me,
Lord, Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, only those who do what my Father in heaven wants. On that Day, many will say to me,Lord, Lord! Didn’t we prophesy in your name? Didn’t we expel demons in your name? Didn’t we perform many miracles in your name?’ Then I will tell them to their faces, `I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness (Torah-lessness)!’ Mattityahu 7:21-23
(8) Y’shua said: Whoever obeys Torah are brothers and sisters!
For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother. Mattityahu 12:50
(9) Y’shua said: Those who are do not keep Torah, are far from it, and will pay a price.
The Son of Man will send forth his angels, and they will collect out of his Kingdom all the things that cause people to sin and all the people who are far from Torah; and they will throw them into the fiery furnace, where people will wail and grind their teeth. Mattityahu 13:41-42
(10) Y’shua said: His Laws are summarized by 2: love God and love your neighbor
He told him, “
You are to love ADONAI your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.’ (see also Deuteronomy 6:5) This is the greatest and most important mitzvah. And a second is similar to it,You are to love your neighbor as yourself.’ (see also Vayikra/Leviticus 19:18) All of the Torah and the Prophets are dependent on these two mitzvot.” Mattityahu 22:37-40
(11) Y’shua said: Do EVERYTHING that is taught from Torah/Moses Seat/Bima Seat
Then Yeshua addressed the crowds and his talmidim: “The Torah-teachers and the P’rushim (Pharisees),” he said, “sit in the seat of Moshe. So whatever they tell you, take care to do it. Mattityahu 23:1-3a
Y’shua said: You Pharisees are hypocrites because you only obey PART!
Woe to you hypocritical Torah-teachers and P’rushim (Pharisees)! You pay your tithes of mint, dill and cumin; but you have neglected the weightier matters of the Torah — justice, mercy, trust. These are the things you should have attended to — without neglecting the others! Mattityahu 23:23
(13) Y’shua said: In the last days people would distance themselves from the Torah.
At that time many will be trapped into betraying and hating each other, many false prophets will appear and fool many people; and many people’s love will grow cold because of increased distance from Torah. Mattityahu 24:10-12
From the book of Mark
(14) Y’shua said: If you ignore Torah to obey traditions, you don’t REALLY love Him!
Yeshua answered them, “Yesha
yahu was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites — as it is written,These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away from me. Their worship of me is useless, because they teach man-made rules as if they were doctrines.’ Mark 7:6-7
(15) Y’shua quotes the Sh’ma from the Torah
Yeshua answered, “The most important is,
Sh’ma Yisra’el, ADONAI Eloheinu, ADONAI echad [Hear, O Isra’el, the LORD our God, the LORD is one], and you are to love ADONAI your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your understanding and with all your strength.’ </strong>You are to love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other mitzvah greater than these.” Mark 12:29-31
<strong>The second is this:
From the book of Luke
(16) Y’shua said: to the leprous man, go and offer sacrifice according to Torah!
Then Yeshua warned him not to tell anyone. “Instead, as a testimony to the people, go straight to the cohen and make an offering for your cleansing, as Moshe commanded.” Luke 5:14
(17) Y’shua said: What is written in Torah?
An expert in Torah stood up to try and trap him by asking, “Rabbi, what should I do to obtain eternal life?” But Yeshua said to him, “What is written in the Torah? How do you read it?” He answered, “You are to love ADONAI your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your understanding; and your neighbor as yourself.” “That’s the right answer,” Yeshua said. “Do this, and you will have life.” Luke 10:25-28
(see also D’varim/Deuteronomy 6:5 & Vayikra/Leviticus 19:18)
(18) Y’shua said: Be weary of those who teach against Torah.
Woe to you Torah experts! For you have taken away the key of knowledge! Not only did you yourselves not go in, you also have stopped those who were trying to enter!” Luke 11:52
From the book of Yochanan/John
(19) Y’shua questions why the people do not obey the Torah.
Didn’t Moshe give you the Torah? Yet not one of you obeys the Torah! Why are you out to kill me?” Yochanan 7:19
(20) Y’shua questions why someone cannot be healed on Shabbat (Sabbath).
If a boy is circumcised on Shabbat so that the Torah of Moshe will not be broken, why are you angry with me because I made a man’s whole body well on Shabbat? Yochanan 7:23
(21) Y’shua said: His COMMANDMENT is everlasting Life!
And I know that his command is eternal life. So what I say is simply what the Father has told me to say.” Yochanan 12:50
(22) Y’shua said: You will not receive the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) if you do not keep Torah!
“If you love me, you will keep my commands; and I will ask the Father, and he will give you another comforting Counselor like me, the Spirit of Truth, to be with you forever. Yochanan 14:15-16
(23) Y’shua said: You CANNOT abide in His love UNLESS you obey Torah!
If you keep my commands, you will stay in my love — just as I have kept my Father’s commands and stay in his love. Yochanan 15:10
From the book of Acts
(24) Sha’ul/Paul said: Stephen was falsely accused of teaching against Torah!
So they secretly persuaded some men to allege, “We heard him speak blasphemously against Moshe and against Elohim.” Acts 6:11
(25) Kefa/Peter said: IF we WORK righteousness, we will be accepted by God!
Then Kefa (Peter) addressed them: “I now understand that God does not play favorites, but that whoever fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him, no matter what people he belongs to. Acts 10:34-35
(26) The book of Acts says: long after Yeshua ascended, the Gentiles went to the synagogues “on SABATH/SATURDAY/SABATOS”.
As they left, the people invited Sha’ul and Bar-Nabba to tell them more about these matters the following Shabbat. When the synagogue meeting broke up, many of the born Jews and devout proselytes followed Sha’ul (Paul) and Bar-Nabba (Barnabas), who spoke with them and urged them to keep holding fast to the love and kindness of God. The next Shabbat, nearly the whole city gathered together to hear the message about the Lord. Acts 13:42-44
(27) Sha’ul said: I believe EVERYTHING written in Torah!
But this I do admit to you: I worship the God of our fathers in accordance with the Way (which they call a sect). I continue to believe everything that accords with the Torah and everything written in the Prophets. Acts 24:14
(28) Sha’ul said: I have NEVER taught against Torah!
After three days Sha’ul called a meeting of the local Jewish leaders. When they had gathered, he said to them: “Brothers, although I have done nothing against either our people or the traditions of our fathers, I was made a prisoner in Yerushalayim and handed over to the Romans. Acts 28:17
From the book of Romans
(29) Sha’ul said: If you reject Torah and sin, you WILL perish!
All who have sinned outside the framework of Torah will die outside the framework of Torah; and all who have sinned within the framework of Torah will be judged by Torah. Romans 2:12
(30) Sha’ul said: You are NOT justified by faith UNLESS you obey Torah!
For it is not merely the hearers of Torah whom God considers righteous; rather, it is the doers of what Torah says who will be made righteous in God’s sight.
Romans 2:13 (See also Ya’akov/James 1:25)
(31) Sha’ul said: Those who refuse Torah they need to shut their mouths … everyone deserves judgment.
Moreover, we know that whatever the Torah says, it says to those living within the framework of the Torah, in order that every mouth may be stopped and the whole world be shown to deserve God’s adverse judgment. Romans 3:19
(32) Sha’ul said: The Torah is being enforced
Does it follow that we abolish Torah by this trusting? Heaven forbid! On the contrary, we confirm Torah.
(33) Sha’ul said: Grace is no reason to continue violating Torah
So then, are we to say, “Let’s keep on sinning, so that there can be more grace”? Heaven forbid! How can we, who have died to sin, still live in it? Romans 6:1-2
(34) Sha’ul said: Only the Spiritual mind can submit to Torah!
For the mind controlled by the old nature is hostile to God, because it does not submit itself to God’s Torah – indeed, it cannot. Thus, those who identify with their old nature cannot please God. Romans 8:7-8
(35) Sha’ul said: People will ignore Torah and God’s righteousness to establish their own!
Brothers, my heart’s deepest desire and my prayer to God for Isra’el is for their salvation; for I can testify to their zeal for God. But it is not based on correct understanding; for, since they are unaware of God’s way of making people righteous and instead seek to set up their own, they have not submitted themselves to God’s way of making people righteous. Romans 10:1-3
(36) Sha’ul said: Obey Torah like Yeshua/Jesus did for He is our example to follow!
For the goal at which the Torah aims is the Messiah, who offers righteousness to everyone who trusts. For Moshe writes about the righteousness grounded in the Torah that the person who does these things will attain life through them.
From the books to the Corinthians
(37) Sha’ul said: Let us keep the Feast of Unleavened Bread!
So let us celebrate the Seder not with leftover hametz (leaven, yeast), the hametz of wickedness and evil, but with the matzah of purity and truth. 1 Corinthians 5:8
(38) Sha’ul said AGAIN: REMEMBER and keep only the good Jewish traditions!
Now I praise you because you have remembered everything I told you and observe the traditions just the way I passed them on to you. 1 Corinthians 11:2
(39) Sha’ul said: God WILL NOT ACCEPT YOU if you touch what is uncleanLev 7:21!
17 Therefore YHWH says, “‘Go out from their midst; separate yourselves; don’t even touch what is unclean. Then I myself will receive you. In fact, I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters.’ says YHWH-Tzva’ot.”
2 Corinthians 6:17
From the book to the Galatians
(40) Sha’ul said: CURSED are those who DO NOT KEEP the Torah.
For everyone who depends on legalistic observance of Torah commands lives under a curse, since it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the Scroll of the Torah.” Galatians 3:10
(41) Sha’ul said: Yeshua the Messiah became cursed for us, to redeem us from the penalty of sin and death.
The Messiah redeemed us from the curse pronounced in the Torah by becoming cursed on our behalf; for the Tanakh says, “Everyone who hangs from a stake comes under a curse.” Galatians 3:13 (see D’varim 21:22-23)
(42) Sha’ul said: Torah does not stand in opposition to YHWH, it confirms it.
Does this mean that the legal part of the Torah stands in opposition to God’s promises? Heaven forbid! For if the legal part of the Torah which God gave had had in itself the power to give life, then righteousness really would have come by legalistically following such a Torah. Galatians 3:21
(43) Sha’ul said: The Torah became perverted into legalism by man adding its own doctrine.
Now before the time for this trusting faithfulness came, we were imprisoned in subjection to the system which results from perverting the Torah into legalism, kept under guard until this yet-to-come trusting faithfulness would be revealed. Galatians 3:23
(44) Sha’ul said: ONLY THE DOERS OF THE TORAH will be “justified by Faith”!
Accordingly, the Torah functioned as a custodian until the Messiah came, so that we might be declared righteous on the ground of trusting and being faithful. Galatians 3:24
(45) Sha’ul said: By man adding TO the Torah (Talmud, aka oral law), it became legalistic perversion.
but when the appointed time arrived, God sent forth his Son. He was born from a woman, born into a culture in which legalistic perversion of the Torah was the norm, so that he might redeem those in subjection to this legalism and thus enable us to be made God’s sons. Galatians 4:4-5
(46) Sha’ul said: People who accuse others, who keep the Torah, of being legalistic; are perverting the Torah into legalism.
Tell me, you who want to be in subjection to the system that results from perverting the Torah into legalism, don’t you hear what the Torah itself says? Galatians 4:21 (To understand what this is fully saying, read it in context, there is an even broader meaning; Galatians 4:21-31)
(47) Sha’ul was quoting Torah when he said:
14 For the whole of the Torah is summed up in this one sentence: “Love your neighbor as yourself”; 15 but if you go on snapping at each other and tearing each other to pieces, watch out, or you will be destroyed by each other! Galatians 5:14-15 (Don’t take vengeance on or bear a grudge against any of your people; rather, love your neighbor as yourself; I am Adonai. Vayikra 19:18)
(48) Sha’ul said: Do not live your life the way you used to live and then say you are doing “His Will” when you are really going against it … that is perverting the Torah into legalism.
17 For the old nature wants what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit wants what is contrary to the old nature. These oppose each other, so that you find yourselves unable to carry out your good intentions. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, then you are not in subjection to the system that results from perverting the Torah into legalism. Galatians 5:17-18
(49) Sha’ul said: If one has truly become a new creature, then it is shown by walking in the Way, Torah.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, self control. Nothing in the Torah stands against such things. Moreover, those who belong to the Messiah Yeshua have put their old nature to death on the stake, along with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:22-24
(50) Sha’ul said: This is the true meaning of Torah and why we are to keep it.
Bear one another’s burdens – in this way you will be fulfilling the Torah’s true meaning, which the Messiah upholds. Galatians 6:2
From the book to the Ephesians
(51) Sha’ul said: Don’t become separated from God by becoming unclean!
Their intelligence has been shrouded in darkness, and they are estranged from the life of God, because of the ignorance in them, which in turn comes from resisting God’s will. Ephesians 4:18
(52) Sha’ul said: We are to avoid becoming unclean!
Among you there should not even be mentioned sexual immorality, or any kind of impurity, or greed; these are utterly inappropriate for God’s holy people.
From the books to the Thessalonians
(53) Sha’ul said: The false messiah embodies separation from Torah.
Then the one who embodies separation from Torah will be revealed, the one whom the Lord Yeshua will slay with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the glory of his coming. 2 Thesalonians 2:8
(54) Sha’ul said: KEEP only the good Jewish (Israel) traditions!
Therefore, brothers, stand firm; and hold to the traditions you were taught by us, whether we spoke them or wrote them in a letter. 2 Thesalonians 2:15
From the books to the Timothy
(55) Sha’ul said: The Torah IS GOOD!
We know that the Torah is good, provided one uses it in the way the Torah itself intends. 1 Timothy 1:8
(56) Sha’ul said: You WILL NOT be crowned UNLESS you follow The Rules!
Also an athlete can’t win a contest unless he competes according to the rules. 2 Timothy 2:5
From the book to the Ivrim/Hebrews
(57)The writer of the book of Hebrews said: The day is coming where there will be a new covenant (It has not fully come to pass).
9 “‘It will not be like the covenant which I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by their hand and led them forth out of the land of Egypt; because they, for their part, did not remain faithful to my covenant; so I, for my part, stopped concerning myself with them,’ says ADONAI. 10 “‘For this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Isra’el after those days,’ says ADONAI: ‘I will put my Torah in their minds and write it on their hearts; I will be their God, and they will be my people. 11 “‘None of them will teach his fellow-citizen or his brother, saying, “Know ADONAI!” For all will know me, from the least of them to the greatest, 12 because I will be merciful toward their wickednesses and remember their sins no more.’” Ivrim 8:9-12 (This is a direct quote from Yirmeyahu/Jeremiah 31:31-34)
(58)The writer of the book of Hebrews said: This is how Yeshua is the living Torah, by the shedding of his blood.
After Moshe had proclaimed every command of the Torah to all the people, he took the blood of the calves with some water and used scarlet wool and hyssop to sprinkle both the scroll itself and all the people; and he said, “This is the blood of the covenant which God has ordained for you.” Likewise, he sprinkled with the blood both the Tent and all the things used in its ceremonies. In fact, according to the Torah, almost everything is purified with blood; indeed, without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. Ivrim 9:19-21
(59)The writer of the book of Hebrews said: Do not make a mockery of what Yeshua did, by shedding his blood, by perverting the Torah into something it is not.
Someone who disregards the Torah of Moshe is put to death without mercy on the word of two or three witnesses. Think how much worse will be the punishment deserved by someone who has trampled underfoot the Son of God; who has treated as something common the blood of the covenant which made him holy; and who has insulted the Spirit, giver of God’s grace! Ivrim 10:28-29
From the book of Ya’akov/James
(60) Ya’akov said: The Torah is PERFECT and gives FREEDOM to those that not only hear but also do what the Torah tells us.
But if a person looks closely into the perfect Torah, which gives freedom, and continues, becoming not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work it requires, then he will be blessed in what he does. Ya’akov 1:25 (See also Romans 2:13)
(61) Ya’akov said: DO NOT speak evil of the Law!
Brothers, stop speaking against each other! Whoever speaks against a brother or judges a brother is speaking against Torah and judging Torah. And if you judge Torah, you are not a doer of what Torah says, but a judge. Ya’akov 4:11
From the other books written by Yochanan
(62) Yochanan said: If a person DOES NOT OBEY TORAH, they ARE NOT His children!
My children, I am writing you these things so that you won’t sin. But if anyone does sin, we have Yeshua the Messiah, the Tzaddik, who pleads our cause with the Father. Also, he is the kapparah for our sins – and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world. The way we can be sure we know him is if we are obeying his commands. Yochanan Alef 2:1-3
(63) Yochanan said: sin IS violating Torah
Everyone who keeps sinning is violating Torah – indeed, sin is violation of Torah. Yochanan Alef 3:4
(64) Yochanan said: We receive what we ask because we keep His Torah!
Then, whatever we ask for, we receive from him; because we are obeying his commands and doing the things that please him. Yochanan Alef 3:22
(65) Yochanan said: The Holy Spirit IS NOT IN US unless we obey Torah!
Those who obey his commands remain united with him and he with them. Here is how we know that he remains united with us: by the Spirit whom he gave us. Yochanan Alef 3:24
(66) Yochanan said: We do NOT love Him if we reject Torah!
For loving God means obeying his commands, Yochanan Alef 5:3a
(67) Yochanan said: His Commandments are NOT a burden!
Moreover, his commands are not burdensome. Yochanan Alef 5:3b
(68) Yochanan said: We should live according to the Torah.
Moreover, love is this: that we should live according to his commands. This is the command, as you people have heard from the beginning; live by it!
Yochanan Bet 1:6
From the last book, Chazon/Revelation, written by Yochanan
(69) Yochanan said: TRUE believers, not only “believe” in Yeshua (Jesus), but ALSO obey Torah!
This is when perseverance is needed on the part of God’s people, those who observe his commands and exercise Yeshua’s faithfulness. Chazon 14:12
(70) IF you DO His Commandments/Torah, you may have right to eternal Life.
How blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they have the right to eat from the Tree of Life and go through the gates into the city! Chazon 22:14
Taken from “44 New Testament Reasons to Obey Torah”
With the help of the Ruach HaKodesh, written by Bernard Yosef Honigfort
If you have questions about anything in our teachings that you are not understanding, please click here to let us know and we will respond as quickly as possible.
Newest teachings are listed first.
- Are Ewe Set Apart? How to be Holy
- HOW DO EWE TREAT OTHERS? We know several times in Scripture that women were unable to bare children but eventually Yah enabled them to conceive and have a child. All three Patriarchs had wives who faced this same situation and they stayed with their wives because they loved them. How many today will do the same thing? Even with children things do not go smoothly. Sibling rivalry is a constant throughout history, which can sometimes lead to major conflicts. Still there is hope for unity.
- THE RENEWED COVENANT A Covenant is an agreement between two parties, in this teaching the activation occurs with the drinking of the cup. Not understanding what a Covenant is, causes misunderstanding on the human part of the contract.
- חי – Life If the basis of our faith is the Torah, given to Moshe at Mount Sinai by the Word of Yah; then why do we think that Word changes? Mercy and Grace do not eliminate obedience as Y’shua himself reminds us over and over in his teaching to his disciples.
- The Tribes Of Isra’el Here is a teaching about the tribes of Isra’el and what each name means. Each time the tribes are listed in the Word of Yah, there is a message.
- TANAKH (OT) PROPHECIES FULFILLED BY Y’SHUA THE MESSIAH If you cannot tell the Good News without using the B’rit Chadashah/New Testament, by only using the Tanakh, then you do not know the Good News.
- 70 Reasons to Keep Torah This is a list of seventy verses from the B’rit Chadashah/New Testament that show that if we claim to love Y’shua, then we need to do as he and others, told us through Moshe/Moses long ago.
- A Holy Nation Is there a difference between Salvation and Forgiveness of Sin? Can a person receive Salvation but still not be doing the will of Yah?
What is Salvation? What is Repentance? What is Righteousness? What is a Gentile?
- YAH Is Salvation An in depth look at the Hebrew word for Salvation, what the word means, and who Salvation is.
- Does YHWH Ever Change? There are people who teach that Y’shua came to change what was told to Moshe. This is a study on this subject.
Disclaimer: This is not a site for agendas. This is a site to present material within the confines of scripture. Anything outside those confines will be screened by the Admins of this website and then it will be determined whether to have that comment posted. This in no way means that we are attacking anyone. We are basing what we believe on scripture. Some may not agree with this but that is how it needs to be. Every site has its own guidelines, even if a submitted comment is not presented on the website, it is being read by the Admins. So it is not being trashed, even if it does not appear. This is not based solely on our opinions but on guidance from the Ruach HaChodesh.